Monday, October 10, 2011

Strategic Planning

Although the arrival of temps in the 50's, pumpkin lattes, and lost college kids definitely signals the time for fall shopping, I'm leaving my options open to some strategic planning for next spring and summer's wardrobes.  While I don't have any exotic resort vacations planned, hint hint, West Coast, I've been picking through the sales sections of my favorite stores for serious bargains on some of the things I've had my eye on all season.

Recent scores include:

While I wouldn't exactly call it flattering, this dress makes my legs look a mile long, and more importantly, is just one of those dresses that makes you smile.  The color is way outside of my usual palette, but with strappy gold heels, lots of bangles, and a summer tan, even I have to admit I'm won over.
Now this is an interesting one.  From the Neiman Marcus website at $48, I figured the extra tailoring would be worth my while, and ordered the only size they had left- a size up from what I normally wear.  After trying it on and realizing how simple the alterations really would be on a cut like this, I think I've found a new strategy for my constant battle against too-short dresses; I'll simply size up and have the width tailored.  In writing this, I realize this is not a novel idea, but it has taken me 25 years to figure out so....
While I hadn't officially decided that green was going to be my personal style statement for S/S '12, there is obviously a trend going on in my thinking here.  I had tried this dress on at the beginning of the season, fallen in love, and when I saw it on TheOutnet for 60% off, it took me about 60 seconds to complete checkout.
Luckily for me, this heat wave currently moving up the East Coast will give me the chance to wear some of my new finds before relegating them to my storage closet until spring.  It's always been my #1 shopping rule to walk away from an item, and if I'm still thinking about it a week later, I know it's worth a purchase.   Since these have been on my radar since... May?  I figured they all qualified.

What are your thoughts on shopping off-season?

No comments:

Post a Comment