Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Current Obsessions: J. Crew

As much as I've been trying to expand my fashion horizons lately- prints!  leather!  animal prints!  it's no secret that I'll always adore J. Crew.  There are certain stores you walk into for inspiration, and aspiration.  And then there are the stores that serve as a kind of childhood best friend. 

The Financial Times recently ran a fantastic profile on Mickey Drexler, and his strategy of always giving shoppers a little bit of comfort, the classics they're used to - the Jackie cardigan, the Cafe Capri, the Plaza coat- and then adding fashion-forward accents- the statement necklace, the leopard clutch, the colorblocked sweater- to keep things fresh.

I think this is why the store itself holds so much appeal for me; it's very much an echo of what I try to do with my wardrobe.  While I'm always on the search for the perfect tailored blazers, skinny trousers, and LBDs, more and more I'm finding that it's the special pieces, the loves-at-first-sight items, slightly outside of my comfort zone that are worth taking a risk (or shelling out!) for.

A couple of recent favorite purchases on the risk side: the sold-out Cafe Capri in Yacht Blue, pulled by my favorite personal shopper, the Merino V-Neck in Vibrant Flame, and on the classic side: the Plaza coat in Black, with Thinsulate! (my mom would be so proud), the Hacking Jacket (yes in black), and the Classic Jenna Bracelet (so perfect for layering!).


J. Crew's current lookbook is for me a perfect mix of trendy and classic, gorgeous colors that defy seasonal dressing, investment pieces and indulgences.  And for the next few days, use the code STAYWARM for 25% off of all orders of $150 or more.

No comments:

Post a Comment