Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Review: The Ace Hotel, NYC

One of the unfortunate consequences of traveling for work is that when it comes to accomodations, choice is often out of my hands. So when our travel department set me up in New York's Ace Hotel recently, I was psyched. I'd been to the hotel before, for dinner and drinks at the Breslin, and knew that if the rooms lived up to the lobby's standard, I'd never want to leave!


Fast forward to check-in, 10 PM on a Monday night. Unlike some of NYC's trendier spots, their customer service was impeccable- they were attentive, efficient, and not snobby. I made my way through the Breslin crowds and up to my room, unlocking the door to discover a space larger than my own apartment!


In addition to the California King bed- who knew such luxuries even existed in Manhattan hotels!?!, there was a vintage wooden desk complete with a turntable, tres complicated alarm clock, and oh yes- a Google Chromebook. The middle of the room sported an enormous set of Louis XIV settees and a coffee table, not to be outdone by the mod conference table, retro, 50's-style refrigerator, snack bar, and- why not- acoustic guitar. After I got over the fact that a family of ten could comfortably live in my room, I checked out all of the cool little details that made the space feel less like a work-mandated hotel, and more like a really cool hipster friend's apartment.


Music softly playing on aforementioned turntable? Check. Stack of carefully curated art, travel, and design magazines? Check. Thoughtful assortment of snacks, including my personal favorite (how did they know) dried mango? Check. Hooded bathrobes made from gray sweatshirt fabric? Double check.

The bathroom was a little curious. Tiling reminiscent of elementary school walls, odd mix of product brands - though I love Malin + Goetz as well as C.O. Bigelow, I think picking just one would have been fine, and in line with a "green" but terrible trend sweeping the hotel industry, the shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel were in large bottles permanently affixed to the wall.


After an amazing night's sleep and a wake-up call from the complicated alarm clock, I bundled up in a robe and enjoyed some delicious yogurt, granola, and honey, delivered along with a French press full of coffee by an Italian gentleman who had probably come to the city in search of a modeling contract. Already plotting how I could extend my stay, I headed off to work refreshed and relaxed.

My experience at the Ace reassured me of a few things: it is possible to reconcile trendiness and originality with good service; treating customers well should never go out of style; and lastly, it's the smallest touches that, strung together, make the biggest impact. Highly, highly, recommend it.

Ace Hotel New York City
20W 29th Street
New York City, NY 10001
TEL: 212.679.2222
www.acehotel.com/newyork

No comments:

Post a Comment