Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Into the Wild

So I recently returned from a 7 day Alaskan cruise on the Norwegian Pearl. I will start out by telling you that an Alaskan cruise is absolutely not my idea of a vacation – there’s a reason I live in a place where the average temperature is 85 degrees and where people get nervous to drive in the rain. Regardless, my parents and entire extended family were going and roped me into it. I was kind of looking forward to not having to do any of the pre-vacation maintenance that typically occurs when you visit a tropical location – you know, living off of fat free smoothies for a week, applying layers of Jergens Tan Lotion and searching for a swimsuit that will somehow transform me into Gisele Bundchen's less-hot sister. Clearly I didn't realize that packing for warmth while still considering style is actually kind of difficult – and honestly, you have to think of comfort. Being stuck on a boat for 7 days with a population of people who have an average age of 65 does not lend itself well to mini skirts and F Me heels.

A couple of tips for cold weather vacations:
- Boots are your best friend. Most of my outfits centered on a pair of over-the-knee flat black boots that are both comfortable and stylish. I always feel like even if you are wearing jeans and a simple top, a killer pair of boots will just spice it right up.
- Scarves, scarves, scarves. You can’t have enough, seriously. Mainly because it’s freezing, but also because a great color or fun print is the perfect way to brighten up your outfit without having to put in too much effort. Believe me, by day 5 I had zero energy left for vanity.
- Blazing Blazers. A fun blazer will come in handy more than you know. Perfect for nights where you will have dinner followed by dancing. Chances are you’ll be too cold at dinner for any sort of ‘going out’ top, but of course after a few glasses of champagne and a couple of Rhianna songs, it will be just too hot for long sleeves. Pack blazers in multiples colors (I did black and a gray waterfall blazer from H&M that I am obsessed with), and a few sleeveless tops to go underneath.
- Overall Vanity. Just a few words to the wise: waterproof mascara, plenty of up-do’s and make up that will stay put in a less than dry climate. About ½ of my Alaskan pictures are unpublishable – aka un-Facebookable – because my non-waterproof mascara smudged all up on my face and my flat-ironed hair was poodle status. Learn from my mistakes.

Alaska overall is just as breathtaking as they say it is. We visited Juneau, the tiny town of Skagway, and Ketchikan which is a beautiful fishing town. I got the chance to try out my new Canon Rebel and let me tell you, it was worth every dollar spent. Here are a couple of my favorite shots:

Mendenhall Glacier in Junea, AK

Glacier Bay

Train ride up the White Mountain Railway
Leaving Ketchikan

Needless to say, my next vacation will be into warmer climates but Alaska is definitely something I would recommend to anyone looking to see beautiful landscapes, enjoy amazing fish and take a trip off of the beaten path. Just don’t forget your waterproof mascara…seriously.

x's and o's
WEST

No comments:

Post a Comment